(:title APMonitor Modeling Language Documentation:) (:keywords nonlinear, model, DASPK, DASSL, ode15s:) (:description Sequential simulation mode for large-scale DAE systems.:)
The DBS file parameter imode is used to control the simulation mode. This option is set to 7 for dynamic simulation.
NLC.imode = 7
Like steady-state simulation, sequential simulation requires a square problem with no degrees of freedom (neqn=nvar). It is also different than the simultaneous approach in that only one time step ahead is solved successively. Sequential simulation has many useful purposes including
- Run through a large amount of historical data
- Investigate step response characteristics of a nonlinear model
- Simulate process changes for design, trouble-shooting, or planning
- Perform what-if scenarios
- Simulate a virtual process
Sequential simulation is one of the easiest dynamic modes to configure and run. The requirement for a square problem facilitates model convergence as the solver has only to achieve feasibility with the equality constraints.