Lecture 1 - Introduction to Process Dynamics and Control
Welcome to Process Dynamics and Control course. Below are the lecture notes for the first class period.
- Please fill out the information sheet. There is a link under Course Information in the navigation bar.
- Complete Q1.1 (from Practical Process Control)
Preparation for next lecture
- Review the list of competencies (here) and make a mental note of which ones you have already mastered.
- Be prepared to discuss examples of controllers around you. For each system that you can identify, make a mental note of the following characteristics of that system:
- CV - Controlled variable: what is it trying to maintain, optimize, or control?
- MV - Manipulated variable: what is it changing to achieve the control objective?
- Disturbances: what may cause the controlled variable to deviate from the desired target?
- A control loop consists of:
- actuator (takes action)
- sensor (measures)
- controller (computes)
Control Loop Introduction
Run through this example problem in MATLAB / Simulink. Think about control loops around you and the three essential elements: (1) actuator (2) sensor and (3) controller. Be prepared to discuss this in the next class period.
comments powered by Disqus